May the Holy Spirit make you creative in charity, persevering in your commitments, and brave in your initiatives, so that you will be able to offer your contribution to the building up of the “civilization of love”. The horizon of love is truly boundless: it is the whole world!--Pope Benedict XVI

Monday, June 6, 2011

The Life of Faith-Romano Guardini

O God, creator and Father of life, you have given us temporal life that we may grow and perfect ourselves in it. You have placed it in our hands that we may lead it righteously, and you will in time demand an account of how we used it. But you have also given us another life, which awakens at the hour ordained by your mercy before the proof of your revelation. It comes from eternity, and is created in us by the Holy Spirit, giver of life. This life also you have placed in our hands. We may keep it intact, but we may also squander it; we may take pains to see that it grows and matures, but also neglect it and let it fall into ruin. And a time will come when you will demand an account of how we have used it.

Let me know always, O Lord, that this sacred life is within me. Let me stay aware that it is more real than all temporal life. Grant that I feel it's divine preciousness, which holds the ultimate meaning of our experience.

Give me great seriousness in all the concerns faith. Teach me to see what it needs to exist and to be faithful. Let me know its strength but also its weakness. If with the passing of time my feeling should change, and with it the human form though not the divine content of my faith, then teach me to understand this change. Grant that in the tests that it will bring I may stand firm, so that my faith may constantly gain stature and maturity, as you, O ruler of all life, have so ordained it.

Amen.
(From Prayers from Theology by Romano Guardini)

No comments:

Post a Comment