May the Holy Spirit make you creative in charity, persevering in your commitments, and brave in your initiatives, so that you will be able to offer your contribution to the building up of the “civilization of love”. The horizon of love is truly boundless: it is the whole world!--Pope Benedict XVI

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Creation of the World-Romano Guardini

O God, your revelation is a light for our mind, that it may understand, and a call to our heart, that it may hear and obey. So teach us properly to accept the message that you made man and with him all things.

We were born through you. We do not originate from the silent elements, but from the free power of your commanding word; not from the prime matter of the world, but from your clear truth. And all things were born through you. The world is not nature shrouded in its own mystery, but your work. You conceived it and brought it into being. From you it has reality and strength, being and purpose, and you bore witness to it, calling it “good” and “very good”.

I believe that all was created by you, O God. Teach me to understand this truth. It is the truth of existence, and if it is forgotten, then all sinks into injustice and folly. My heart has agreed to it. I do not wish to live in my own right, but in freedom through you. By my own efforts I have nothing; everything is a gift from you, and only becomes mine when I receive it from you.

Always I receive myself from your hand. So it is, and so it should be. That is my truth and my joy. Your eye is seeing me always, and I live upon your gaze, my creator and my salvation. Teach me, in the stillness of your presence, to understand the mystery that I am. And that I am through you and before you and for you.

Amen.

(From Prayers from Theology by Romano Guardini)

No comments:

Post a Comment