May the Holy Spirit make you creative in charity, persevering in your commitments, and brave in your initiatives, so that you will be able to offer your contribution to the building up of the “civilization of love”. The horizon of love is truly boundless: it is the whole world!--Pope Benedict XVI

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Today's Gospel Reflection-If you love Me?

by Winston Elliott III

John 14:15-21
15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you. 18 "I will not leave you desolate; I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while, and the world will see me no more, but you will see me; because I live, you will live also. 20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him."

Jesus begins these words from John 14 with the a loaded question. "If you love me..." But wait. Isn't he talking to his disciples? Why does he begin his teaching with "IF you love me..." At this point in the story Judas has left the room. Surely our Lord does not need to begin by saying "If you love me..." These are His closest friends and they are still asking Him "to show us the Father." If this is the state of His closest friends then what chance do we have? They had spent three years living with our Lord and still didn't know him. He still had to begin His teaching with the words "IF you love me..."

But, the love of our Lord for His disciples, and the whole world, is demonstrated in the words that follow. "I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever." The Counselor is coming and is here. The "Spirit of truth...for he dwells with you." What is possible with this Spirit? The most amazing, wonderful, joy filled, transforming possibility of all. For with the guidance of the Counselor, the grace of the Father, and the inspiring love most beautifully demonstrated by the great community of love, the Blessed Trinity, we may yet be what we were Created to be. With the help of the Holy Spirit we may become "He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him."

O Lord we are heartily sorry that our poverty of spirit makes it necessary for you to begin with "IF you love me..." We are weak and sinful, just like Your first disciples. But our gratitude is great for You have not left us alone in our sin. You came and showed us true Love. And You and the Father presented us with the Counselor, so that we may follow your commandments and be loved by Your Father and You. Come Holy Spirit, show us the Father and the Son. Please teach us to love as the perfect Triune God loves. Help us to love with beauty so that our Joy may be complete. You in us and we in You.

Mary, our Hope, Seat of Wisdom, pray for us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment